Saturday, February 14, 2009

Catch 22

I am a writer and have been a writer for over 20 years. I am dedicated, talented and very disciplined in getting material written, copyrighted and ready in all ways to submit to production companies and publishing houses. I have even had the opportunity to make quite a few contacts in the industry. I guess you could say I know a few people and I know my craft but here in lies the rub. I receive calls from executives at major companies and they are interested in seeing my work but within the conversation the inevitable always comes up. The question, "Do you have an agent?" is what they ask. This is the The Catch 22.

As I mentioned, I am talented. From 16 years old to the present, I have written and rewritten at the suggestions for many industry professionals and I have to say my work is better. For that, I'm grateful, but I am frustrated by the brick wall I come to when getting my work in the hands of the right people. Don't get me wrong, I have had agents over the years however some were not very good which is why I no longer have one. I believe like a personal relationship or friendship an agency relationship has to be chose carefully. You have to find someone as interested in growing your career as well.

Currently I am seeking representation and looking for the right agent. The Right Agent! I work hard on my career and am looking for the exact same thing. I attend industry events, network, and can drum up my own contacts, I just need the middleman to seal the deal. This year, I am working to make that happen. No more Catch-22 for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home