Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Apartment Hunting in NY

I lived a few places, but I have never been any place like NY. I have lived here for 5 years and been at the same apartment. My neighborhood is nice and my apartment is decent but it does not have a washer/dryer in the building. As a result, I decided that it was time to look for a new place. Well, I have to tell you. I do not respond to ads where there is no laundry in the building.

Getting a place to live in NY is the most interesting thing. First, you have to give you copies of bank statements, tax forms, a letter from employer and a kidney.

I mean, isn't that what you do when buying a home? Also, many apartments don't have a washer/dryer in the building. if the apartment is $1200 and months, then you can count on doling out $2400 or $3600 dollars because they want a deposit which is equivalent to the first month's rent and the first month's rent. There are even some landlords that want lasts months rent.

Oh my God. It is not like all the apartments in NY are paradise. I have even been asked to shell out a decent amount of money for something that is a downright dump. Don't get me wrong. I like NY. I came here for a writing career but the rental situation should be better.

Well, then again it will all work out if you are aggressive and have a positive attitude. As well, it is my money and I don't have to take anything that I don't want. I do have more control than I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home