Thursday, December 21, 2006

Being Mean to Succeed

As a writer I work in an industry where it has been common knowledge that to get ahead you must be ruthless. As a younger woman I tried to adhere to those standards however the problem was that by attempting to become this tough person I lost myself. I really was a good person trying to make myself mean to get ahead. It did not work for me and I really don't believe it works for many.

Now, there are people that are still rich and successful by society's standards but are they really happy. Can you really be evil to your assistant or other employees and have a successful social life. Does your family like you? Do you have friends?

I believe life is about balance. It is a simple enough strategy but something that people miss. Go ahead and go for the goals and succeed but also spend time with people that really love you. And why not treat your assistant like an ally. As a past assistant I can say that she really is your ally. You may not really think you need he or she to succeed but isn't it better to have someone that really wants to help you because they like you rather than someone who helps only for a paycheck.

I always heard you get more bees with honey. You can get bees by being sour but the bees that get the honey stay forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home